Evaluation: Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

My preliminary task was completed before most of my research took place. To complete it I had studied the basics of continuity editing, the 180 degree rule and shot reverse shot. This type of editing is used in many conventional films. From the preliminary film I researched and learnt other types of editing, mainly montage. I felt that these were better suited for the pace of my film. I have therefore learnt a lot about the different ways to edit a film and what is best for different genres
(An example of a basic over the shoulder mid-shot from my preliminary film. The rest of the shots in my preliminary film were also fairly basic)

When filming my preliminary film I was using only very basic shots such as mid-shots and close ups. through out the process of filming my film I experimented with a number of different types of shot, e.g. worms eye and point of view shots. I have learnt when different shots work and although not all the range of shots appear in my final product, I had to cut many out when editing. I do feel that my final product shows a range of different shots and more types of shots than my preliminary film exhibited.

(One of the more abstract shots used in my film)



A key technique in film making that I had not experimented with in the production of the preliminary film was lighting. Fortunately the lighting when shooting my preliminary film was good. When shooting and editing my film I had many problems with lighting (see mid-evaluation: lighting problems post). Rather than research lighting techniques I thought it would be more beneficial to try different lighting for myself. In the editing of my film I discovered many shots with the wrong lighting, the majority of these were because there was not enough lighting. When shooting the footage I did not realise the issues of poor lighting in some of the shots. It was only when uploading and editing the shots that it became apparent. In the making of my film I learnt how important the right lighting is to the film, the right lighting can make a good scene really special.

When making the preliminary film I only filmed each shot until I thought I had got it right, I did not film each shot more times than I thought necessary. This caused problems in the preliminary film and in my final film. I often had to go back and re film shots when if I had taken more time and re filmed each shot originally I would have saved a lot of time. By the production process of the final film I had realised this and began to take more time when filming each shot.